Simple Ingredients, High Protein & Not a Lot of Sugar is Why Siggi’s Scandinavian Skyr Yogurt is a Family Favorite

When I started this blog a few months ago, one of the things I wanted to do was share brands and products I love.  With the new year upon us and many of us rethinking our ways of eating, I wanted to explain why we are huge fans of skyr, pronounced “skeer”, yogurt.

I always look to get the most nutrition out of each meal and live by that 80/20 rule, eating clean 80% of the time and enjoying the other 20%.  Siggi’s yogurt falls in that 80% and taste amazing!

When heading to the grocery store, the yogurt section can be overwhelming.  There are so many different brands and types of yogurts and it can get confusing.  Often, yogurts are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients.  When I came across Siggi’s last year, I loved that the ingredients are simple and there is not a lot of sugar.  I also appreciated the high amount of protein per serving.

So what it skyr yogurt?  While other types of yogurts are mostly water, skyr strains out the water which creates a creamy and thick consistency.  In fact, one serving of Siggi’s skyr yogurt is made with four times as much milk as conventional yogurt which results in 13-15 grams of protein per serving.  This practice of yogurt making has been a part of the Icelandic diet for more than 1,000 years.

img_9173

Siggi’s uses no artificial ingredients.  If you look at the Siggi’s strawberry yogurt, you will see a simple list of milk, strawberries, cane sugar, fruit pectin from orange peels and live active cultures.  Nothing else!  Having minimal, real and simple ingredients is a product I can stand behind and feel good about eating and feeding to my family.

Siggi’s sources their milk from family farms in New York and Wisconsin where the cows are grass-fed and no growth hormones are used.  The yogurt comes in a variety of flavors and there are always seasonal items coming out which are definitely not ones to miss!

Iceland native Siggi Hilmarsson began his yogurt making career in 2004 while living in New York City.  His passion to bring real food with quality ingredients has given consumers across the US a lot of fun and tasty yogurt options.

You can find the 0% milk fat skyr icelandic in plain, blueberry, orange & ginger, mixed berries & açaí, vanilla, strawberry, peach and raspberry.  Plain and vanilla can be found in 24 oz containers.  The 2% has coconut, black cherry, strawberry & lingonberry and blackberry.  The lingonberry is found in Scandanavia and is a tart red berry, similar looking to a cranberry but closer in taste to a raspberry.  It is a perfect combination with the sweetness of the strawberry so I suggest you grab a few if you see them at the store!

img_9171

The 4% milk fat comes in banana & cinnamon and peach & mango, both with no sugar added.  There is also mixed berries, vanilla, strawberry & rhubarb and blueberry.  You can find plain and a touch of honey in 24 oz containers.  Then there’s the triple cream which is my favorite! The flavors are raspberry, vanilla, chocolate and lemon.  These are so creamy and delicious it feels like your having a special treat when in fact, you’re loading up on good fats!

You can also find Siggi’s in squeezable tubes which are perfect for adults and children on the go and come in blueberry and strawberry.  And finally, Siggi’s offers a Swedish style drinkable yogurt in 0% milk fat and full fat with the flavors plain, raspberry, blueberry, strawberry and vanilla.

As mentioned above, the triple cream is my favorite, especially the lemon.  Everyone in my family prefers the 4% milk-fat as it gives a creamier, richer flavor. We also drink whole milk in our house and use real butter.  The less processed the better and just like avocados, these are good fats, and should be consumed in moderation.

Stay tuned for more on Siggi’s.  I’ll be sharing recipe ideas and other ways to incorporate yogurt into your daily routine.  In the mean time, check out where you can buy Siggi’s through the Siggi’s locator link.

What flavor are you excited to try?!

One thought on “Simple Ingredients, High Protein & Not a Lot of Sugar is Why Siggi’s Scandinavian Skyr Yogurt is a Family Favorite

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: